Document Shredding Event for Residents
To help deter identity theft, the City of Sunnyvale Recycling Program has periodic document shredding events to assist residents with destroying confidential or personal documents. The Document Shredding events are a free service limited to the residents of Sunnyvale, Mountain View and Palo Alto (partners of the SMaRT Station®). Proof of residency is required.
When: Pre-designated dates from 8 a.m. to noon (or until trucks reach capacity)
Where: 301 Carl Road, Sunnyvale
Find current dates on the Environmental Events Calendar
- Residents may bring a maximum of 5 banker-size boxes or 5 brown paper bags of confidential/personal paper documents to shred. A banker’s box measurement is approximately 12” x 10” x 15”.
- Remove documents from binders and binder clips (these can damage the shredding equipment); however, paperclips, staples and rubber bands are acceptable.
- *Unacceptable items include (but not limited to): batteries, matches, electronics, metal, cardboard, binders, binder clips, x-rays, CD’s, DVD’s, plastic sleeves, e-waste, pens, etc. No garbage or non-paper items! Sift through your documents before arrival at the shredding event to ensure you have documents only.
- All documents will be shredded immediately on-site, during the event.
- Recycle all non-confidential documents and paper curbside in your recycling cart.
So, what do I shred? If you answer YES to any of these questions, then SHRED the document.
- Does it have any personally identifiable information (PII)?
- Does it contain information protected by privacy laws?
- Does it violate any privacy laws?
- Does it share any confidential corporate information?
- Does the document list any financial information?
When should I shred it? A Federal Trade Commission Guide
Contact the Recycling Program for more information at 408-730-7262, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
*IMPORTANT: These items can cause the shredding truck to catch on fire.
March 11, 2019